Friday, April 13, 2012

makeup board

I'd seen a couple versions of a magnetic makeup board on Pinterest and similar sites.  What I really wanted was a good way to hold my brushes without getting a huge pencil cup that would need huge magnets to keep it up.  Hence, the travel pill bottles!  I had a bunch of these lying around with a few pills in each of them, so I threw them all in one larger bottle and covered the travel containers in origami paper.  Getting the air bubbles was kind of odd, but I ended up lining up the paper with the bottle, painting mod podge on the paper, and rolling the bottle across the paper.  Using a piece of scrap paper under everything keeps the glue off the table!




For all the makeup, I used small magnets from Michael's and superglue on the smaller eyeshadow palettes.  The larger items, such as the mascara tube, the Dallas blush, and the longer eyeshadows needed multiple magnets.  You can also throw the sharpeners on the magnets; you don't even have to glue magnets to them.  The metal sharpening part sticks to the magnets and makes for easy access.
The last thing I did was use pretty wrapping paper to cover the cookie sheet.  Oh, that's another thing: before you buy or use a cookie sheet, make sure it's magnetic.  I just carried one of the craft magnets with me to the store and went around trying to stick it to kitchen items.  I probably looked a little crazy, but no one kicked me out!  The hardest part of putting the wrapping paper is getting it on the edges of the pan smoothly.  Avoid this by either choosing a flat cookie sheet, or scoring the corner of the wrapping paper and overlapping the excess.
Enjoy your new, clean, organized, and beautiful makeup board! It's great being able to see what you have without having to rummage through drawers and drawers of products.


P.S. The "Welcome Home" sign is from my boyfriend, who made it for me after I came back from New York a couple summers ago.  The pink pixel heart card was from this Valentine's day, made again by my boyfriend who cut it out himself.  I'm so proud!

P.S.S Hanging this was a bother.  I drilled two holes to the top edge of the cookie sheet and ran some of the wire used for hanging pictures through it.  It was the most secure way I was personally able to craft without buying a whole new cookie sheet.  I've seen some board that are mounted in a frame, which is really pretty, but I didn't feel like fitting a sheet to a frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment